Join our mailing list and stay up to date with the progress and opportunities at the Victorian Pride Centre
- This event has passed.
Brolga: A Queer Koori Wonderland
October 7 @ 9:00 pm - October 8 @ 3:00 am$15 – $35
- October 7 @ 9:00 pm
- October 8 @ 3:00 am
- $15 – $35
- Event Categories:
- Community & culture, First Nations, Markets & Festivals, Social, Visual & performing arts
- Event Tags:
- Aboriginal, Allies, drag, euphoria social, event, friends, lgbt music, live music, Melbourne, Melbourne Fringe Festival, Melbourne music, party, queer film, Safe Sapce, Torres Strait Islander
- Age group
- For over 18's only
- Groups of most relevance to event
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Gender Diverse, Intersex, Queer, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, People of Colour, People living with a disability
- Content warning
- This event will be presented in low lighting and contains haze, strobe lights, sustained bright lights, both sudden and sustained loud noises. It will contain nudity and mild coarse language.
Take flight with a party inspired by the Queer Aboriginal stories of the dancing Brolga. Dance your feathers off with Indigenous headliners Dameeeela, SOVBLKPSSY, NAYCAB (Nayuka Gorrie), Kalyani, the Joel Bray Dance dancers and reigning Miss First Nations Queen Cerulean. Supported by an incredible QPOC line-up Stev Zar, Ata2ud and Aqueerius.
For one night only Brolga: A Queer Koori Wonderland will transform The Substation into a psychedelic Queer Koori Wonderland, cramming every nook and cranny with art, Queer Blak film, interactive games, glitter and body paint stations, and Naarm’s best Queer performers, including Luke George, Bendy Ben, Dandrogyny and many more.
Different mobs have different Brolga stories. Some tell of a boy who only wanted to dance the women’s dances, and so the Ancestors transformed him into the Brolga so he could dance for eternity. Others speak of a young woman who defied a ban on women dancing and who refused to marry a man. Many contemporary Queer and Trans Blackfellas have adopted the Brolga as our unofficial totem, and this party, a reimagined contemporary gathering ground, is a place to go all-out in celebrating the Queer and Trans folk in our communities.
We ask you to honour our ancient ways by treating each other with yindyamarra (respect). It’s a party – arrive any time between 9pm and 3am! Follow The Substation’s Instagram for to see set times and sneak peeks.
Curated by Wiradjuri dance maker and Queer AF party creator Joel Bray.
December 1 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
December 2 @ 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
December 3 @ 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm