Pride in Employment is a brand new initiative coming to the Pride Centre that seeks to build the capacity of employment services and service providers to create and support pathways to employment for LGBTIQ+ jobseekers. Through targeted facilitation, employment services and LGBTIQ+ people can connect in a cultural safe environment, share experiences, and build capacity.
The project has four core elements:
- Provide a presence at the Victorian Pride Centre for employment services to be accessed by LGBTIQ+ community members.
- Deliver a one-day seminar to Jobs Victoria service provider representatives.
- Support Employment services to conduct a Jobs Victoria Expo to LGBTIQ+ communities.
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of providing access in a culturally safe environment.
“As a purpose-built hub for LGBTIQ+ communities, the Pride Centre is in a unique position to facilitate connection and collaboration between people and services. Through this project, we will be able to offer both in-person and online opportunities to hear from and engage with a range of organisations and advocates that operate within the LGBTIQ+ employment space.” – Justine Dalla Riva, CEO Victorian Pride Centre
The Pride in Employment project aims to:
- Facilitate access to and support the development of culturally safe LGBTIQ+ trained Job Advocates/Employment Services
- Provide a safe and welcoming environment for community members to access Job employment services
- Build relationships and referral pathways between Job Advocate/Employment services and LGBTIQ+ services within the Pride Centre
- Support DJSIR Jobs Services to be inclusive and responsive to the needs of LGBTIQ+ job seekers
- Look at barriers and discrimination in the workplace and when using employment services to inform further programs
- Improve the understanding of Jobs Victoria funded services in the provision of adequate supports for LGBTIQ+ communities.
- Support LGBTIQ+ inclusive employment practices, including resources and supports for employers.
Pride Centre Activation & Access
- Working with a Jobs Victoria-funded Job Advocate/employment services to have a presence at the Pride Centre to connect with and support members of the LGBTIQ+ community.
- Connect with LGBTIQ+ communities in a safe, inclusive, and welcoming space on a regular basis.
- Promote Job Victoria services that are available to LGBTIQ+ communities through listing on the Pride Centre’s website (subject to those providers being LGBTIQ+ inclusive and culturally safe).
Employment Services Forum
Support Jobs Victoria to build their capacity in better understanding the needs of LGBTIQ+ communities by delivering a one full-day seminar at the Pride Centre for 100 Jobs Victoria service provider representatives covering:
- Key barriers and challenges faced by members of the LGBTIQ+ community to work
- Lived experience examples of how these barriers work in real life
- Inclusive practise principles – what are they, why are they important in the workplace and in the provision of mainstream services.
- LGBTIQ+ owned and operated services that can support job seekers – who are they, what do they do.
Employment Services Expo
Delivery of a Jobs Victoria Expo to LGBTIQ+ communities:
- Half day expo in the Pride Centre’s Theatrette, bringing together all aspects of Jobs Victoria services.
- Live streamed/interactive component to support connection with socially isolated and regional community members (delivered in collaboration with JOY Media)
- Connection to LGBTIQ+ communities
Commencing in September 2023, with times and dates to be published via the Pride Centre’s website and social media channels.